Surviving tough times is something we all have to do now and then. Many things, such as relationships, finances, family, jobs and any combination of these can contribute to rough patches in life. I am not a professional, just someone who has weathered a few storms. Both Angie and I are weathering some storms right now, albeit completely different situations, here are some things we do to help survive them. (This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase a product through a link we have here in the post, we may be compensated at no cost to you.)
Things to Remember
- You are stronger than you think. I know you have heard this time and time again, but that is because it is very true. We never know how strong we are until we are faced with difficulties to overcome.
- You can ask for help. This can be hard for some people (myself included). Sometimes, though, you just need help. This can be as simple as needing to talk about the situation or asking someone to run a necessary errand for you.
- Be a friend. Even in our rough times, just being a friend to someone else in need, helps us to re-focus our own thoughts and do something good. Sometimes it just helps to put things in perspective, if even for a few minutes.
Things to Do
- Rely on your Faith. As Christians, Angie and I know we are not alone. We ask each other to pray for one another and for others we know going through tough times. Having Faith in God is a strong comfort to both of us.
- Turn to your friends and family. Family and friends can be a great source of comfort during rough times. Angie and I have said many times that ‘it takes a village!’
- Stop, breathe and evaluate. During a rough time, our mind can become so absorbed with it, that we don’t think about anything else. This makes it difficult to make rationale decisions as needed. As hard as it is, do your best to stop, breathe and evaluate the situation to help see it in a more balanced light.
- Keep up your strength. Try your best to get sleep and good nutrition at this time. This is SO HARD TO DO, I know. But, it will help you so much at a time like this.
How to Be a Friend
- Offer to listen. Sometimes all your friend needs is someone to listen and not judge. Be that friend.
- Ask if you can run any errands they might need. Is your friend in a situation where they are having to give all their energy and time to a situation and their daily tasks aren’t getting done? Ask them what they need you to do to help keep their daily life going. This can be running an errand, taking care of their pets or bringing them dinner. There are endless ways you can be a blessing to them.
- Call and/or text them that you are thinking of them. Just let them know you are thinking of them and are there for them. Sometimes, this can help them more than anything.
What do you do to help a friend through a tough time? What do you do to get through a rough time? We’d love to hear it!